Saturday, July 4, 2015

Firebug ~ Review



Title: Firebug
Author: Lish McBride
Publication Date: September 23, 2014
Pages: 368
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Supernatural

Rating: 4 stars

Summary: Ava can start fires with her mind . . . but is it a blessing or a curse? 
Ava is a firebug—she can start fires with her mind. Which would all be well and good if she weren't caught in a deadly contract with the Coterie, a magical mafia. She's one of their main hit men . . . and she doesn't like it one bit. Not least because her mother's death was ordered by Venus—who is now her boss. 
When Venus asks Ava to kill a family friend, Ava rebels. She knows very well that you can't say no to the Coterie and expect to get away with it, though, so she and her friends hit the road, trying desperately to think of a way out of the mess they find themselves in. Preferably keeping the murder to a minimum.

It took me a long time to look past the blurb and sit down to read this one. I'm not sure why the summary put me off, but I'm kicking myself now. Firebug is definitely more on the mature side of YA, so readers beware of sexual, language, and violent content!

Fortunately for me, I adore all of the above so Ava and her cohorts were amazing as well as soothing for my needs! 

In case it hasn't been said yet, Ava is badass. There are a few times that I was wishy-washy with her decisions, but ultimately she is a strong, awesome character that I just wanted to kick ass with. She has restored my faith that YA heroines can be flawless even with their flaws!

I also really enjoyed Ava's relationship with her teammates/ best friends, Lock and Ezra. Their dynamic was powerful and made me a bit envious sometimes. Like, why can't I have a crazy-sexy were-fox and protective, intense half-druid as my best friends. 

Put the three of them together with some on-the-run, start-a-rebellion quest and, people, you've got yourself a fantastic story! Seriously, this book was really refreshing paranormal book that was not all about L-O-V-E. A lot more focused on friendship and loyalty, and I loved that!

 Provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment