Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Beloved ~ Review

Title: Beloved Enemy
Author: Lacy Yager
Publication Date: April 1, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fiction

Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary: She's the unlikeliest vampire hunter ever. A scientist.
Seventeen-year-old science prodigy Genevieve Quinn never thought she would be kidnapped from her college campus by a vampire. Or that said vampire would want her help on a science project. Genevieve has no intention of complying, but when an escape attempt turns deadly, it is a vampire that comes to her rescue.
Vampire Chad Matthews is an atypical specimen. He’s good-looking, in a dangerous kind of way. But that’s not what attracts Genevieve… it’s the shadows behind his eyes. As Genevieve and Chad team up to find a way to defeat a monster even worse than killer vampires, she discovers that not everything can be explained by science—like falling in love.


So, yes, this is a novella. Something I was unaware of before I started reading. (I thought it ended really fast...) What I also didn't know is that this is a part of a series, the third book in said series to be precise. But hey! That actually worked out in this novella's favor. While being a part of a series, I didn't feel confused in the world Ms. Yager created. (I mean, yea, I questioned things, but that's typical of any book anywhere.)

Now, I did want more from Genevieve and Chad. I wanted to see more of the bond between these two characters. I know, I know. It is a novella, but I just felt like everything happened too quickly... Is this a paradox? 

The story line felt a bit like it was in the background. I mean, this book definitely focused of Gen and Chad. Which, hey, fine with me. But I definitely wanted more, especially concerning Gen's research. 

I guess all in all, I just wanted this novella to be a novel. More from the story, more from the characters. Maybe then it wouldn't have felt so hollow.


Provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment