Monday, April 28, 2014

The Angel and the Warrior ~ Review

Title: The Angel and the Warrior
Author: Karen Kay
Publication Date: September 6, 2005
Pages: 304
Genre: Romance, Adult Fiction, Historical Western

Rating: 4 stars

Summary: Eighteen years ago, Swift Hawk was sent to the earthly realm to try to break an enchantment that curses his clan to a half-life in the mists. As his allotted time runs short, a vision gives him a glimpse of his last chance to free his people. A delicate young woman with translucent white skin and star-like hair.
He never thought his sacred vision would possess the tongue of a shrew.
Angelia Honeywell and her brother Julian fled Mississippi amid a hail of rotten tomatoes and flying bullets. She only fired back in self-defense, but now they are on the run as their father pleads their case to the governor.
With Julian trying to pass himself off as a wagon train scout, Angel knows they need help. When the handsome, black-eyed Swift Hawk agrees to save their skins, she can’t help but be drawn to his compelling gaze. But as they come together in a blaze of desire, the dark shadows of the curse descend, threatening to divide them forever.

Siiigh. I could read historical romances forever. Even if they're not wonderful, I still love everything about them. A piece of history, usually a scandalous love affair, and some steamy paragraphs, mmm. Oh, sorry, don't mind the drool.

Ever since I read Warrior Moon by Sara Orwig, I've loved Native American fiction. Something about their culture really intrigues me. Same with Indian culture as well. It's just so exotic, completely different from my own "normal." But I digress.

The story is told by both Swift Hawk and Angelia, or "Angel" (Gods, how I despise that name!) Swift Hawk isn't just any normal Native American, oh no. As it says in the summary he's part of a cursed tribe and he's their only salvation to regaining some sort of real life. Funnily enough, Angel isn't all that normal herself, that is she isn't the hoity-toity type of woman you'd expect from the era. Raised as a travelling preacher's daughter, she's opinionated,  fearless, and quick to tell you what's what. I really loved both of these characters, and how they resonated off the pages!

There were also some secondary characters that I think deserve a little shout out, because they were awesome! Julian, Angel's brother, is what I imagine my little brother will end up like. He's handsome, arrogant, but clearly loves his sister! And Swift Hawk's side kick/tribe member/ I'm-not-even-sure, Red Fox made me laugh so many times with his dry wit. I wish they were a bigger part in this book, because I treasured the scenes with both the secondary people.

As far as plot, I was expecting a lot more of a "evil" presence. There's not much strife. Don't get me wrong, there are several conflicts within the story. But there is an antagonist introduced in the beginning and we don't see anything else until much later on. Our characters sort of float along until the very end. That's when we see more of a confrontation. I know there are more books in this series, but they focus on other characters. I was really hoping for more of a resolution with this one. With that being said, I'm still interested in the other books and look forward to reading them!

So let me know, what are some of your historical romance favorites? 




Provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment