Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pivot Point by Kasie West ~ Review

Title: Pivot Point
Author: Kasie West
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Pages: 343
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary: Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.



I really loved the way this was written. At first I was a teensy bit confused, but quickly caught on and then I fell. It's an interesting concept, first the story itself. Humans with super powers, a hidden city with spies on the outside. I was really interested in the genetics of it all, but we didn't get much information on that. Perhaps with the second installment, Split Second, newly released we'll get a little more on this.

So let's get to the grit of the story. I'll warn you know, there is a love triangle. BUT! Don't judge too quickly. The guys don't know about the other. Wait, wait, wait! Addie's not a slut. They're not even on the same timespace. (That's the second concept that I find interesting.) Oh, have I piqued your interest? (And yes, it is timespace. Look it up. It's actually pretty interesting.) In one timespace, there's Trevor. He's a norm. No super powers. But he makes up for it with awesome comebacks, cute moments, and a lot of love for the important things in life. By far my favorite. In the other, there's Duke. He's paranormal (or a super, as I'm calling them.) He's also the most gorgeous, popular kid in the secret town of supers. We find out a lot more about Duke, but if I'm completely honest I never really connected to Duke. I didn't like him. Then again, I never disliked him. He was just meh. I'm not sure why that is. I'd like to say it's because my gut knew something off about Duke, but probably because I was too busy swooning over Trevor. For some weird reason, I kept thinking of Tucker from the Unearthly series. Which is good! Tucker is one of the best literary boyfriends!

So I've covered the boys. Now it's the girl's turn. I'll start with Laila because I just love her. She's so spunky and nonchalant. I think her character is great, but there were some hints that speculated not everything is as it seems with her. I'm sure more will be revealed in the sequel. 
Now for our MC, Addie. Addie, Addie, Addie. I don't know. I really wanted to like Addie, but she came off bland for me. I sort of felt as though I was a parasite and Addie was my host. I saw what she saw, heard what she heard, all that garbage. But I never got a personality from her. She never came off the pages, and I wanted it. I wanted to be her friend! But how could I, if I was her? (Okay, back up. I am me, Addie is her.) Sorry, having personality issues. I know when reading, up to a certain extent, we become the characters and go off traipsing for adventure or whatnot, but never to the point where I can literally put myself in the characters place and fill the shell. All characters need personality, some pizzazz that makes them special. It wasn't here with Addie and that made me sad. ):

My last piece on this novel is about the ending. The story is great, it reels you in and sets you off and though the conflict is kind of juvenile, it's still a strong story. However, all good things come to an end. Some sooner than later. It's becomes painfully clear what will happen at the end of this novel. And trust me, it is painful. While I understand that this ending is what has to happen, I think it needn't be so obvious. 


And with that being said, there's the end of my review! So what do you think? Have you read it and agree? Disagree? Let's discuss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment